Rajesh Kalra

Monday 27 January 2014

Indian Peafowl

"The pride of the peacock is the glory of God" William Blake

              On 26th of January afternoon, I landed in Sanjay Van from Vasant Kunj Side. In fact I had plan to visit Aravalli Bio-diversity Park but lost the tract despite my GPRS.
"Can I help you" someone called me. The voice turned out to be Air Vice Marshal(Retd) Vinod Rawat.He was with pack of young kids on an education visit to the Sanjay Van.
I decided to walk with the group learning about aravalli hills,the degradtion of forest by villaiti kikkar and attempt to restore it with Aravalli trees.The kids were shown ronjh, dhak,papadi and other trees.
My eyes kept looking for birds.There were lot of babblers,House sparrow and peacock.A partridge kept on calling from a distance.Could also hear a treepie. Few prinias and tailorbirds made appearance.
"Do we have a water body here" I asked AVM Rawat. He led me to a large lake being fed by treated water from vasant vihar. A nice looking lake with few Black-winged stilts,Common moorhen,two sandpipers ,red wattled lapwing and a WT Kingfisher taking bath. The light was bad and not worth a shot.
This lake feeds feeds Hauz Khas lake, I learnt.
As the light dwindled, I decided to go back and took a track back. I kept on walking till I realized that I was lost.With guidance from a cylcist, I reached a broken wall facing Vasant Kunj road.Had to walk a bit to trace my car.
This peafowl was a parting shot when I re-entered the Van to have a last look for birds. Could see Robins,Magpie and silverbills too.
This peafowl was on top of a kikkar tree and sensed my presence. It flews off as I took its shots.




Sanjay Van,Delhi 26.1.2014

No comments: